We aim to provide a range of high quality music and dance opportunities to all children in the city
The service is the lead partner of SoundCity, the music education hub for Brighton & Hove. Alongside schools in the city, we work with a range of strategic partners including Brighton Dome and Festival, Glyndebourne, University of Sussex, Rhythmix music charity and over 20 other music, arts, cultural and educational organisations. Through this extensive network we aim to provide a range of high quality music and dance opportunities to all children in the city.
Brighton & Hove Music & Arts works closely with our partners to identify and deliver on local priorities for music and the arts. Additionally the service leads the strategic development and provision of music across the city to ensure the delivery of The Importance of Music: A National Plan for Music Education.
This service provides:
• First Access opportunities for every child at KS2 to learn an instrument through the Soundmakers programme
• Progression pathways for children to continue to learn a wide range of instruments through the Instrumental Tuition Scheme
• Subsidies and free tuition for eligible families to support access to instrumental learning opportunities in and out of school. As part of this offer Looked After Children are entitled free tuition
• Targeted programmes to enable children in challenging circumstances to access music opportunities in a wide range of educational settings including Special Schools and Pupil Referral Units
• A co-ordinated strategy for the delivery of music in Special Schools through the delivery of Breaking the Bubble
• Schemes to support Gifted and Talented children achieve their potential in music and dance
• A city wide Singing Strategy developed in partnership with Glyndebourne to support singing in schools
• Online support for learning via the service website
• Continuous Professional Development and networking events for teachers and music leaders working in a variety of settings through SoundCity: Connect
• Bespoke training programmes for music and dance teachers in schools
• Performance opportunities for children and young people in schools, across the city and further afield
• A wide range of out of school opportunities through Music and Dance Centres, Summer School programmes, Courses and Events